Thursday, June 21, 2012

Lana Del Ray: What Happens When You Listen to Chris Issak's 'Wicked Game' Over & Over




The first I'd ever heard of chanteuse, Lana Del Ray, was the day after he supposed disastrous a appearance on SNL as the night's featured music act.  From what I understand, her live performance did not live up to the expectations her debut album, Born to Die, had created months earlier. 

Oh, well.

So, I waited. Still being accused of being stuck in the 90s with my music, I decided to take a step into the here and now, carefully treading past the any 'artist' with the moniker "Lil'" prefacing their stage name. It's music not crafted for my 41 year old ears, therefore, I leave it for the younger audience.

One day, I was played "Born to Die" and was immediately intrigued. Who is this Lana Del Ray? I downloaded her album and to my surprise, discovered a kaleidoscope of sound, delivery and authenticity. I would venture so far out to even call her the first genuine and successful attempt at mashing what has been referred to for generations as "Black" and "White" music.

She is a mix of rap/hip hop, Mylene Farmer's ethereal whisp, Tori Amos' sincerity all wrapped up in the embodiment of a Vassar girl.

For the first few weeks, I couldn't stop listening to the album.  Sure, she rips others off  pays homage to earlier artists (the entire album is a variation on Chris Isaak's 'Wicked Game') but she pulls it off delicately and with brilliance. 

I love this girl. 

Couldn't have had a lovelier welcome to today's sound if I wanted one.


No comments:

Post a Comment